Flights.com, a subsidiary of Expedia, Inc., exists to make traveling the world easy, affordable, and fun.
When Expedia’s 2015 Vacation Deprivation study revealed that 92 percent of Americans felt happier after a getaway, yet the country’s workforce left 500 million vacation days unused, our team saw a unique opportunity to promote more travel.
It may seem easy to encourage people to take a vacation, but we couldn’t underestimate the pressures of a busy work life, which is one of the main reasons people don’t take the time off that they deserve. Our challenge was crystal clear. We needed to remind travelers of the best reasons to book a flight and take a trip: to revisit favorite people, places, and pastimes.
With the launch of the Flights.com Facebook Connect feature, travelers can receive customized deal updates on flights to their most-visited check-ins. Inspired by this technology and the power of nostalgia and much-loved memories, we created the “Don’t Skip the Trip” campaign to:
- Encourage travelers to use their PTO and educate them about the benefits of taking a break.
- Woo people who tend to pass up travel opportunities away from late nights and holidays spent at the office.
- Use bright, enticing visual art, humor, and nostalgia to bring to mind potentially lost weekends in favorite destinations, skipped holidays with loves ones, and awesome memories waiting to be made.
Flights.com’s playful yet informative brand personality offered us a creative launch point for a multi-channel campaign that would remind our audience how important it is to take that flight back to their most-loved destinations and people.
The campaign message of nostalgic travel was promoted through in a variety of ways:
- Partnerships with Travel Industry Influencers. These influencers created stories around their best memories of past trips, and also encouraged our audience to try the Facebook Connect feature.
- Development of Three Humorous Videos. One video featured Thanksgiving, one the winter holidays, and one “anytime” fun getaways. Campy and colorful, each video focused on tempting someone away from their desk to take a big trip. Published on YouTube, these videos launched at seasonally relevant times, allowing us to promote and build a dynamic online presence from mid-November through New Year’s Day.
Check out the videos here:
- Social and PR Promotion. We promoted the campaign via the Flights.com owned channels, including social media and the blog. Additionally, we crafted a press release to promote the campaign and its message of inspiring travel and not letting vacation days go to waste.